Pottery Repair

Artifacts Guide Board: Learning Center - Ask Questions - Post Info : Pottery Repair
By Paul Harvard (paulh) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

I have a Woodland pot that needs to be put back together. Has anybody got any suggestion on what type glue to use. Also any info on what not to do as well. Thanks in advance.

By Chad Childs (chadster) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Paul,
The best method that i have ever seen was to use what we call the sandbox method. By using a sandbox approx. 1 foot deep and about 20 inches wide" depending on how big your pot is, maybe larger and maybe smaller. I had a pot put together by the Southeastern Archaeological Team from U.G.A.. While watching the repair. I noticed that they use a liquified form of elmers glue. The process is tedious but worth it, due to less breakage. It took them a week and 1/2 to finish my bowl and it looks great. The best thing to do is place the piece of pottery near the bottom of the box and then place the piece you are gluing to the correct piece of pottery. After doing this form it with the hand and then add sand to the box. This holds the piece in a solid place and if it doesnot fit corrctly. It is liquified elmers glue. The glue will disolve in water and any excess will gently rub off in the water and with a piece of cheese cloth. next glue a nother piece. eventually the bowl will take shape and a good form without any bad spots, Or you could use super glue, I would not advise that , That glue dries fast and pocess is faster, but it causes breakage in the future.

The best way to find a repair on a pot is to run water over it and then take a hair dryer to it. The repaired spot will be the first place to become dry. You will notice a small circular spot in most probing cases. These repaired spots always dry faster.

By Paul Harvard (paulh) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 06:46 am: Edit

Thanks for the tips. Some good info, this is my first attempt and would hate to do more harm than good.

By Jacky Fuller (relikdiver) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 08:23 am: Edit

I agree with Chad. Use Elmers and the sandbox. If you use any other glue and you make a mistake your not going to be able to go back and change it. I'll try to show some of my pottery I have done with Elmers.

By REGGIE TERHUNE (regg) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

I watched a friend of mine put together a pot that I had bought from him.It was probally in 30 pieces.He also used Elmers.When he got it almost put together,it had gaps between pieces that should have been lining up.He blew up a balloon inside it,then put a big rubber band on the outside.He then rubbed the outside of the pot with a water soaked rag.As he did this the rubber band pulled the pot cracks together.It still had a couple gaps so he added another rubber band and continued rubbing with the wet rag.He said that the glue was getting flexable as he wet it.The balloon kept the rubber band from collapsing the pot.It was a cool thing to see.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.